Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I loved Sharma's look at the ideology that is nationalism. It is a multifaceted approach, looking at the emergence and effects of Canada's nationalism through a consideration of borders and citizenship. She takes a strongly Foucauldian stance, examining the genealogy, subjecthood, and internalization of the produced Other- the noncitizen. I am most interested in her brief reference to the internalization of the noncitizen as the other, as a racialized identity... Sharma says "People were seen, and came to see themselves, as the 'same' as those categorized in similar ways and, simultaneously as 'different' from those who were placed in other state categories of entry and residence in Canada." (130) I would have loved for her to explore this more- the way the power functions to create the noncitizen subject internally. How can we begin to think about this? As North Americans? As women? As immigrants? (I'm sure many in the class are..) What does this mean for our subject-hood?

No comments:

Post a Comment