Wednesday, October 8, 2008

In "What is in a Rim?" Professor Tadiar explains how the Philippines is "the mistress of the United States" (p.223) and how this relationship between a first-world and third-world country can be so devastatingly destructive, but only on the third-world country's part. I loved this article because it exposed me to so many injustices that not only are still in effect, but are probably getting worse with time. That being said, I wonder if there is something I, in the first world, could actually do. Tadiar writes that we must "realize a more just form of community" by "dreaming other worlds in other ways" (242) but that's not a "real" solution, or at least an immediate solution. Is this, then, another example of how feminism may not be translatable? This article represents why feminism can be so divisive, but I want to believe that there is an effective way of reaching out without imposing western feminist agendas on those of the Philippines. To achieve feminist goals, is it necessary to first leave feminism out of the picture, restructure government/international relations, and then get into issues concerning women, or would that make feminist concerns an afterthought? Should the west stay out of this process, lest it become another example of the west imposing western ideals on foreign countries?

No comments:

Post a Comment