Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Thoughts on Martin
In reading Martin's article, I was fascinated as I became aware of the manner in which stereotypes about male and female nature so strongly influence the way we view science. I agree with her main thesis in that I understand the importance of becoming attuned to these biases even within the realm of science, which we often perceive as being immune to bias. However, I wonder if the reason for which sperm are viewed as more active than eggs is because sperm actively move toward the egg while the egg is stationery in the initial stage of reproduction. However, I am aware that this can be contested by the fact that eggs also move through the fallopian tubes at a different stage. Still, is it possible that sperm is objectively more active during the "main" part of reproduction? Or have I simply fallen victim to the influence of the language and manner in which we discuss the process?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment