Monday, October 13, 2008

Embracing Our Differences

Audre Lorde's arguments always manage to truly strike a chord in me, and this time is no different. Lorde urges all women (and the whole of society) not to merely tolerate differences but embrace and appreciate differences as forms of empowerment. She mentions many types of differences such as class, sexual orientation, and age, but focuses mostly on race. In insisting that these differences not be obliterated, she draws upon a very delicate balance of creating a sense of community while still maintaining the things that make us unique. Have we accomplished this? Have we built this kind of community? American society and American feminism seem s to become increasingly more diverse with time, but are we truly embracing our differences or are we merely tolerating them? In politics, business, and general life transaction, could it be that we are all still trying to prove that we are "as good as" the prototypical white American male?

1 comment:

  1. I was particularly appreciative of the this week's articles, mainly because the authors so effectively and succinctly articulated a prominent way in which I see the world. Audre Lorde always seems to strike a particular chord with me, especially as I read the article's title in context. Kimberle Crenshaw's article just rang so true to me; I appreciated the way in which she was able to look at identity politics as it is in a critical manner and acknowledge the intersectionality that is life. Although many of Uma Narayan's suggestions for the outsider resonated with my opinions, I wonder/question whether there is a place for question insider attitudes/perceptions/beliefs. She briefly alludes to it at the very end of her article, yet doesn't flesh it out in a way that I recognize any imperative concern. Is it valid to critique (and make new suggestions regarding) the attitudes of an insider? Do they have a place in society as we see it? And if so, what are some suggestions we can make?

    ReplyDelete