In addition, Narayn argues that outisders lack the epistemic privilege of insiders necessary to understand their situation (and in her talk at the conference, she spoke about the inabiity of international aid workers to understand the local context without spending a significant amount of time in the society in which they are working), suggesting that even if such tools existed, is extremely difficult to understand another society from an external perspective.
I have only studied anthropology in this sort of indirect way, and am very interested to hear what some of the anthropology majors in the class have to say.
Also, in response to Christine, I study physics and I was curious about whether her critiques of the social science methods themselves apply to physics. She references--but does not endorse--feminist critiques of "the whole orientation of mathematics and theoretical physics [as] ideologically masculine," but I am not sure what such are argument would look like (or whether it would be remotely convincing). I also struggled with the recurrence of Wollstonecraft's dilemma in Wylie--can we argue that women both have a right to be scientists because of their intellectual equality and that women need to be scientists because of their uniquely gendered distinct "sensibilities"/interests/approaches (45)?
(Sorry still had some thoughts running around my head after discussion this morning...just rambling. Ignore me)
ReplyDeleteThe concept of "insiders" and "outsiders" can also be applied to scientists. As female science majors we could consider ourselves epistemically privileged. Personally (probably because of being rigorously taught the scientific method) I think the scientific methodology is not what is flawed; it is how it is used by people or channeled by governments etc. There is a social pressure especially on biologists/chemists/engineers, but affecting all sciences, that drives us toward projects that will benefit humanity (medicine, environment, living standards, etc.) and that pressure is mainly masculine-influenced because of the national and global political infrastructures.
Laura was saying in discussion that there is a distinction as well between each researcher's perspective, which I agree with. I googled Wylie - she is a feminist archaeologist (again a scientific field where gender ties in with culture and history very strongly) and while she is exposed to science, I wonder whether she has the same sort of experiences as, say, someone from engineering or computer science or physics. Is it strange that there is very little if any protest from women who are working in such seemingly gender-distant fields? Are they too entrenched in the "masculine ways of thinking" to perceive an inequity (or too busy writing scientific papers to offer a discourse)? I never gave much thought to the bias against women and minorities in science, mostly because I've been at Barnard where there is phenomenal support for biology students from the faculty, and the issue never really applied. After reading Wylie's article I still think that the scientific institution itself is not hostile to women; if there are more provided the opportunities, women can change the field from within.