Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Oct. 23rd

In examining "the gaze", John Berger states that this oppressive, male gaze is active, while Laura Mulvey states that it is another manifestation of an "unconscious" patriarchal structure. How active is this "gaze"? I think that determining the answer to this question is crucial in figuring out how to fight it, and answer the answer that Claire poses. In addition, how must women fight off this gaze? Based on my personal account, I feel that I have seen a backlash in the media today, in which women impose a female "gaze" that objectifies men as well. Are women justified in doing so? If not, what other measures can be taken?

3 comments:

  1. oops... I proofread my post after posting it. I meant to say that addressing the question of how active the gaze is can help respond to Claire's post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sujean, I was wondering about that when I read these articles. Like the cartoon in class, none of the articles acknowledge what to me seems common today--that women can objectify men as well. I think Berger would argue that the difference is that men do not (and are not conditioned to) aid in their own objectification. However, in today's consumer driven culture, aren't both men and women being conditioned to think about their image? How is modern media affecting the gaze of both men and women, as well as their internal image?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd agree that the media/advertisement business augments the objectification of both sexes - but rather than identifying and enforcing gender-power constructs with gaze-objectification, the end goal is gaining financial profit (and why cut out half the population). However I also must agree with the suggestion that men do not aid in their own objectification - I wonder if it is because of the stronger taboo of male homosexuality that males feel that objectifying another male would be in some way damaging their own masculinity.

    ReplyDelete