Wednesday, October 29, 2008

While reading the articles for this week, I really began thinking about being, existing as an individual, as a member of a labeled group, etc.  In lecture on Tuesday, Jess mentioned how identities are performed.  In "Decking Out: Performing Identities," Judith Butler writes, "Since I was sixteen, being a lesbian is what I've been.  So what's the anxiety, the discomfort?  Well, it has something to do with that redoubling, the way I can say, I'm going to Yale to be a lesbian; a lesbian is what I've been being for so long.  How is it that I can both "be" one, and yet endeavor to be one at the same time?  When and where does my being a lesbian come into play, when and where does this playing a lesbian constitute something like what I am?" (18).  While reading the paragraph the passage comes from, my thoughts became more and more muddled until my head was spinning trying to decide if playing my identity is creating it or if an identity must be performed in order to create it.  Is it a matter of performance or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment